Several years ago, I enjoyed purse shopping. I stayed with the fashionable handbags, purses, pocket-books or whatever you like to call it. As of late, purses have become burdensome. Oftentimes, they hurt my shoulder, and they turn into big hole for me to get lost in. Though a purse is meant to add some element of organization to my life, it’s usually the opposite. The burden of a purse is true especially when looking for my apartment keys while holding six grocery bags after trekking three flights of stairs.
I do carry pursues. They are typically smaller, yet efficient. To maximize efficiency, below is a list of 12 items a lady should keep in her purse. I’m still working to get them all.
- Baby wipes-These come in handy not only after a tinkle, but also to do a quick wipe down in the ladies room.
- Perfume-Not the entire bottle, just an aspirator will do. It’s good to keep the “smell good” on deck because I never know when I’ll need it. Plus, it’s just a good follow up after using the baby wipes. Perfume leaves an impression.
- Kleenex- One day while in high school, my crush walked me home. On the way there, he looked at me and said, “I have something to tell you.” At that point, I trembled with excitement because I thought he was going to profess his undying love for me. Instead, he lean over and whispered, “You have a bugger in your nose.” Omg…I was done. I knew that I needed both a mirror and tissue on me at all times. By the way, despite the horror and embarrassment, we still went to prom together ::wink.
- Breath freshener- Just like the aforementioned situation, bad breath is an instant turn-off. Prevention is better than cure; so, I keep gum or mints handy.
- Nail file- My nails often chip or break because the corner of the nail snags on my clothes. Having a proper nail file handy is the best way to prevent this and ingrown nails. After breaking my nails and asking my classmates incessantly for a nail file, I realized it’s best to have my own.
- Lip gloss/ or Aquaphor- I do not need to say much about lip gloss. Lip gloss is all about the look. Aquaphor, on the other hand, is moisturizing. So, sometimes, I use it in lieu of lip gloss, but it also serves as my hand moisturizer.
- Fully charged phone- Keeping the phone charged is necessary in case of an emergency. But, the phone itself can also serve as a flashlight. Luckily, my phone is equipped with a flashlight feature, I don’t have to carry a separate one.
- Writing utensil- I know that hand writing may become obsolete, but it’s just good measure to keep a pen handy.
- Tampon/ pads- Even if I’m not on, it’s nice to be able to help someone else in need.
Mirror - see #3.ETA (edited to add): CASH- at least $30. Credit cards are good, but cash is better. I never know when I’ll come across the $5 shea butter from a street vendor.
- A box of matches- What?! You didn’t know?! Matches clear bathroom odor. Simply light the match, blow it out, and allow the sulfur dioxide of flame to mask the odor.
- Mini sewing/ repair kit- I remembering being in the park, I bent over, and then all of a sudden…woooop, the crotch of my pants ripped. Luckily, I wasn’t commando…hehe. I guess I was too lazy practice the good ole’ bend and snap method.
Be Good. Look Good. Do Better!
First photo source.